Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Credit for Trying


I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to forgetting names.  I must make a concentrated effort to retain the name of people I meet.  To hang on to the name of a new acquaintance, I normally play with word association.  I might rhyme the name with a word and make up a phrase.  Example: “I like Mike.”  Or: “Glenda drinks Splenda."
That kind of thing works well in the short term.
In the long term, however, I am filled with blanks.  I recognize faces, but names tend to evade me like cockroaches when the lights turn on.  If I bump into a face I recognize, I don’t even try to throw a name out there.  I simply engage in a friendly conversation and part by saying: “Nice to see you again.” 
I know I am not alone in this.
There is business owner in Helena that I have known and interacted with for many years.  I know his name.  He has lost mine.  As it turns out, we have chanced to meet regularly over the last year or so.
I saw him again just yesterday.
He is the type who likes to throw names out there.  In the last year his has called me Jim, John, and Frank.  I never bother to correct him.  Furthermore, I am not offended by his failed efforts.
Yesterday, I was John.
A good, solid name, that.
I give him credit for trying.  So long as I still remember who I am, all is well.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment