Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Kind of Bug I Prefer

Whatever bug befell me is still with me.  I pretty much kicked my bed’s ass again last night in fitful sleep.  I disemboweled one pillow, flung the bedding to the floor, and managed to once again slide under the mattress sheet instead of on top.
What the hell?
As I sit writing this, the island time is 4:30 in the morning.  A massive clangor of a headache woke me.  Some neighborhood dogs are barking in the distance.
The flu has given me a different conception of what’s inside my head.  As I progress through the night, sleeping, or drag myself about during the day, I have come to appreciate how much changing the position of my head changes everything about how I feel.  When I shift my head, new compartments inside my head fill with headache fluid.  Other fluids leak from different corners of my mouth.  I ache in new places and I’m unbalanced in new ways.
Well, later this morning, at 8:00 island time, I plan to go to a new snorkeling beach with the rest of the team.  If a pillow case is still clinging to me from my night’s battle with the bed, I intend to drag that sumabitch along with.  I’m not ready to snorkel just yet, but I can sit on the beach looking as hapless as the next tourist.
On their outing yesterday, the rest of the crew saw a giant centipede while I lay in bed at the villa, sniffling.  A giant centipede is the kind of bug I prefer to battle today.

-- Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: