Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Far and Away

The authority having jurisdiction and I drove to Missoula yesterday afternoon and took a room downtown near where I am teaching a class today.
Leaving Helena and ascending MacDonald Pass, we encountered quite a rise in temperature.  At the bottom of the pass our fancy automobile registered 17°F.   Within about three miles of climbing we had reached a temperature of 38°F.  The temperature dropped again when we slipped down into the snowy valley on the far side.  For the next 100 miles we experienced 24°F and sketchy roads that alternated between wet, dry, snowpack, and slushy. 
The hotel in which we are staying has recently been remodeled.  The mirror in the bathroom “floats” off the wall and provides light from a translucent border around the edge.  I thought it worthy of an abstract image.  I captured just such a photograph and have posted it today.  For some reason, I thought I should call the photograph “Far and Away.”


-- Mitchell Hegman    

No comments:

Post a Comment