Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Villa Kamay Hills, Aruba

My first thought when I woke this morning was this: the sun is on the wrong side.  East is not east.  My north is south.
I have been upended!
When I flung back the curtains at the sliding glass door of our room and looked outside, I saw Aruba for the first time in daylight.  My thought then: Wow!
We are on something of a rise above and away from a row of hotels and white sand beaches.  Behind and slightly above us, tall cactus have grown into a forest.  When I stepped outside, I was bathed immediately in warm humid air.  I retrieved my camera and tried to snap a picture, but the lens instantly fogged.  I heard strange birds singing sharply, beautifully from the cactus and heard a rooster “cock-a-doodle-doo” from a small house below.
We have rented a villa for ten days.  No, a castle!  Our villa is stunning.
We had a bit of trouble finding our way here for three reasons.  First, we did not leave the airport until almost 10:30 at night.   Second, Google Maps is very confused here.  Third, street signs are not high on anyone’s priority on this particular island.
If you ask locals for directions, which we did, you are told something like this: “Follow the row of hotels until you get to a streetlight with a Wendy’s on one side and a Texaco station of the other.  Turn right onto that street and drive until you see a Chinese restaurant…”
We had a grand time getting lost (not kidding) on the way to our villa.  We finally arrived at our house after midnight.  Posted today are a few photographs from last night and this morning.

-- Mitchell Hegman

5 comments:

  1. Street signs: sounds like everywhere in the world except for the US and Canada. I remember in the Emirates that all directions were given in relation to a nearby traffic circle named for the statue in the middle of each of them. When you looked in the phone book for a name instead of an address you saw a PO Box number.

    You look like you are in a place for many memorable "adventures".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except one time I heard your cousin tell an out-of-towner looking for directions to "go past where the root beer stand used to be". So maybe it's more universal than you might think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except one time I heard your cousin tell an out-of-towner looking for directions to "go past where the root beer stand used to be". So maybe it's more universal than you might think.

    ReplyDelete