Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Retirement

I once thought a man was not a man
who did not smoke cigarettes to nubs,
drink late,
and espouse Charles Bukowski.
I girled-up, though, and quit smoking
and I worked.
My legs hurt.  My Back.
But up went the airport terminal,
the hydroelectric plant, towers on bald hills,
garish houses, workshops.
I armored-up, edged my sword,
marched against my own better judgement,
marched against my own leisure.
Until yesterday.
Yesterday, I thrust my leave-taking letter
through a mailbox slot,
and imagined plunging my sword into the hard belly of a dragon.
My sword sharp and brilliantly white.
To hell that dragon.
To hell you hot bastard.
-- Mitchell Hegman
NOTE: The above writing is what happens if you drink coffee and think about Bukowski the morning after dropping an application for retirement benefits in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment