Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, January 1, 2018

Torchlight Parade

Late yesterday afternoon, the authority having jurisdiction and I, along with our friends Kim and Bill, drove to Great Divide Ski Area for our New Year’s celebrations.  We arrived at the ski hill just as the sun eased down against the snow-tented Rocky Mountains to our west.  The temperature was 12°F upon our arrival.  The girls settled into a table in the lodge while Bill and I purchased lift tickets and rode the chairlift up into the high mountain twilight.
Every time I go skiing I remember how much I love it.
Bill and I made three swishing runs off the Good Luck chair as the sky dimmed into a soft pink.  By the end of the last run, the sky had dissolved into cobalt blue and the moon had untangled itself from clouds to our east.
After skiing, we joined the girls inside the lodge.
The evening ended with a torchlight parade of skiers slowly twisting down Power Dive ski run.  That was followed by a fireworks display against the snowy mountainscape.
I have posted a couple photographs and a video I captured with my smarter-than-me-phone.
Happy New Year to all!


-- Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome way to welcome 2018! Have a blessed new year Mitch and Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a great time! Thanks! Hope you and Ralph have a great year too!

    ReplyDelete