Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Yellow and White House

Last night, my own dreams betrayed me.
A yellow and white house fell from the sky and crashed to the ground very near me.  Inside the house, two small children perished.
I did not ask why a yellow and white house fell from clear skies.  Of course that makes no sense.  I asked, instead, why small children should suffer or die.
What sense in that?
I woke immediately from my dream of the children, of weeping parents.  I woke to the bruised darkness of my own house—to such profound sadness.  Awake, I felt the sorrow as certainly as I felt the bedsheet and blankets on my chest.
What hidden monster inside me smashed that yellow and white house against the earth and killed those children?

-- Mitchell Hegman                                          

2 comments:

  1. Some say that dreams are a manifestation of something buried in our subconscious. But really dreams are still as much of a mystery now as it was in the days of our ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. Mine are almost always strange.

    ReplyDelete