Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

A Squeak


I recently finished installing circular-sawn flooring in my cabin.  In the time since completion of that project, I have overnighted there twice.  I did so this past Saturday.
The thing about my cabin floor is this: I made every precaution to guarantee squeaks did not develop in the floor.  To keep things quiet, I applied an expensive underlayment material before installing the tongue-and-groove fir boards.  I smacked, and sometimes pried, every board into place to assure a tight fit at all joints.  I nailed the boards every eight inches.
The other morning, after waking in the bedroom at the cabin, I walked out to start coffee in the open kitchen and living area.  Near the middle of that space, one of the boards squeaked when I stepped on it.
I stopped.
I placed a foot on the board and rocked back and forth.  
Skwee, skwee, skwee.
I smiled.
Had that been at my house I would have been furious.
But at the cabin?
Cabins need character.
Squeaks are character and I have one.
—Mitchell Hegman

1 comment: