Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, June 15, 2019

The Wildflower Way


To reach my nearest “neighbors” on their fourteen acre parcel adjoining my cabin property, I have two options.
The first option is a two-mile drive.  The first mile follows Hogum Creek down along the base of a mountain as it prances toward the Blackfoot River.  At a fork in the road, you must make a 180 degree turn and then climb another mile up a forest service road through heavy lodgepole forest.  Near the end of this climb, you cross through my twenty acre parcel and open a gate at the southern boundary.
The second option, always my preferred choice, is a 200-yard hike from my cabin to their place.  The hike involves a steep climb through deadfall and crosses directly from my property to theirs. 
The second option can be a tough go.  But the slower pass through our forest makes it worthwhile.   An astounding diversity of wildflowers are in bloom right now.  As my father would have put it, the place is “lousy with wildflowers.”
At present, Indian paintbrush, Oregon grape, arnica, virgin’s bower, lupine, wild strawberry, and fairy slipper orchids are flourishing.  It is possible to see all of these flowers sharing the same patch of sunlight at the feet of the lodgepole trees.
Posted are photographs captured from a meeting with my neighbors halfway up the mountain yesterday.

Flower Diversity

Paintbrush

Fairy Slipper

Meeting the Neighbors
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment