Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, June 10, 2019

Branding Day at the 4-R Ranch


Posted today are a few photographs from branding day at the 4-R Ranch in the Elkhorn Mountains.  The ranch belongs to my dear friends Tom and Patti Russ.  I spent the better part of yesterday at the Ranch helping with the branding process.
Most of us growing up in East Helena, Montana, considered the Elkhorn Mountains our mountains.  I and Tom, and most of our mutual friends spent a great deal of time in the Elkhorns: camping, hunting, hiking, riding motorcycles, or just driving along the meandering roads.   I constructed my house so my bay window frames the highest peaks in the range.  Those mountains are among the first things I “check” at first light each morning.
Are the Elkhorns still out there?
Check!
And my year would feel incomplete if I missed branding day at the 4-R Ranch.

Separating the little ones

Administering a shot

Branding

The spectator fence

Hops on the old ranch house
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment