Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, June 7, 2019

Drives Through Disaster


We didn’t travel much when I was a kid.  We were not a family to climb into the station wagon and drive off to Disneyland.  My parents never hauled us kids off to see the ocean.
No such thing as a family vacation.
The other day, while talking with my sister, it struck me that we did all “enjoy” a few drives through disaster.
For some reason, my father could not resist seeing the aftermath of a natural disaster.  If one occurred within a half-day’s drive of us, Dad piled the lot of us into a car and off we flew to see the mess.
One of my firmest early childhood memories is that of looking out the window of our station wagon when dad drove us down to see what became known as Quake Lake following an earthquake and massive landslide in the Madison River Canyon in August of 1959.  I was only three at the time.     
I recall a drive to Great Falls in June of 1964 following epic flooding that year.
I recall somewhere in the mid-1960s a slow drive through roads in the Clancy area following a wildfire that swept all the way down to the edge of town.     
Ambrose Bierce famously said: “War is God’s way of teaching Americans geography.”
For the Hegman family, disasters led us as close to a vacation as we ever got.
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. My family was very much the same, we were not the vacationing sort. But a disaster, absolutely yes, let's go see THAT. My earliest memory is of epic flooding in Valley City, ND in the late 70s. We also once detoured to see what remained of a town in Minnesota that was nearly wiped off the map thanks to an F3 tornado. A 2x4 driven into the side of a brick Coast to Coast hardware store was quite something to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems more than a few of us had the same upbringing. Those trips definitely left impressions on us!

      Delete