Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, June 23, 2019

The Orchids Return


Somewhere around ten years ago, a small patch of lady’s slipper orchids growing very near my cabin stopped blooming.  This occurred about the same time I had the property logged due to a brace of insects killing my trees.  Both spruce budworms and pine beetles were attacking my trees and thinning was my best option.
I attributed the loss of the orchids to a dramatic change in levels of daylight and heat following the logging.  The patch where the orchids grew had not been disturbed. 
Every year since thinning the forest, I have traipsed over to where the patch of orchids thrived, hoping for their return.
About five years ago, I concluded they were gone forever, but I faithfully returned to the patch in late June and early July out of habit.
Yesterday, because I was wandering around assessing the arnica, lupine, forget-me-not, and sticky geranium, I decided to check the patch again.
Well, one should never count the ladies out.
My orchids have returned.
The lady’s slipper orchid at my cabin, mountain lady’s slipper, is one among twelve species found in the United States.  Some of the orchids presently reside in “threatened” status.  Most are rare to find. 
As all my wildflowers, I guard these jealously.  Now, more so than ever.
Posted are some photographs from my orchid patch.



—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, rare Montana wildflower location/secrecy is on the same level as huckleberry patches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree with you more. I have a great diversity of wildflowers and I am very protective of them!

    ReplyDelete