Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Fight!


Somewhere after 3:00 AM, I came straight up out of my sleep.  Outside my house, in the back, I heard yowling and screeching.
My cat!
My cat and something else.
I leapt to my feet, scrambled to find my robe, and ran to the back door.  Upon opening the door, the yowling amplified.
“Splash!” I yelled to my cat.
The screaming intensified, quadruplified.  My cat and something else began clashing wholesale in the darkness just beyond my deck.
I suspected a fox.
I turned on the outside light.  Light washed across my deck.  Chairs appeared from darkness.  “Splash!”
The unseen fight intensified.
With the door open, I ran back to the utility room to grab a pair of shoes.  When I returned to the back door, Splash was there.   Quiet had returned to the night.
“Come on in, Buddy.”
Splash stared at me.
“Come on.”
After a few moments, Splash slowly walked inside, but he would not allow me to get close.  He remained firmly set in fight mode.
I went back to bed.
At first light this morning, I went out back to investigate.  I found a trail of fur tufts down the hill and leading up to the deck.
My cat seemed uninjured and wanted back out.
I am still unsure of the other combatant.  I am really thinking fox.
My cat is now out there, waiting for a return.

—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. You do not need a guard dog, your cat has things handled. Also, Splash is a fantastic name for a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splash definitely had things handled by the looks (and sounds) of it. He was not injured at all in the skirmish. I named him Splash, by the way, because he has a splash of white fur across his face and front legs.

    ReplyDelete