Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, June 9, 2019

A Magpie at My Birdfeeder


A magpie discovered the birdfeeder I put out for the finches and chickadees in front of my house.  Now, several times each day, the magpie crashes my feeder.
It’s a one-bird party out there.
The magpie swoops down, grabs the edge of the feeder tray and flaps furiously trying to remain in place in small space meant for small songbirds.  Sometimes, the magpie ends up hanging upside-down on the feeder.  On occasion the bird lands on the metal hook from which the feeder hangs and then slowly slides down the hook to manage a kind of “drive-by” pecking at the seeds on the tray.
In all cases the feeder ends up swinging about wildly.
If any songbirds happen to be in the nearby trees, they hold back and watch the magpie without challenge.
I would like to be angry about the magpie’s disruptive behavior, but here is a bird that actually spends the entire year here in Montana.  While all the pretty songbirds fly south for winter, the magpies remain.
I make allowances for my fellow Montanans.
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment