Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, November 7, 2021

A Bad End

As a general rule, birds don’t explode.  Given that, when I find what looks like an explosion of feathers, I assume another sort of bad end has occurred. 

Posted today is a photograph of a splay of feathers I discovered near the lake.  The scene of a kill for certain.  A close inspection led me to guess an American robin met its demise.

Robins are a fine bird.  Not strikingly colored, but they are plenty friendly and good at eating bugs.

No telling what got the bird.  Might have been Kevin’s cat, but something about the clean kill suggested fox or bobcat to me.  My game camera picked up a fox within a few feet of the kill spot not so long ago.

If a fox or bobcat harvested the robin, that is a natural thing.  If Kevin’s domestic cat snatched the bird that is another matter.

Our pet kitties have devastated bird populations.  A Google search will result is a variety of estimations of loss.  But even the lowest estimates are astounding.

At https://abcbirds.org, I read this: “In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats. Each outdoor cat plays a part.”

I have always discouraged my cats from killing birds and located bird feeders where I did not provide points of ambush for my cats.  My 20 pounds of housecat, Splash, has never been one for killing birds.

Billions of birds matter to me.



Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. We had a cat named Amos when I was a kid that was a bird killing machine. He was absolutely ruthless. I thwarted a meadlowlark hit compliments of Amos when I was 8. As in, I intervened and shooed the bird away before Amos could really get going on killing. I hope it lived and I wasn't sorry that Amos was mad about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are amazingly efficient hunters. I also hope the bird lived!

      Delete