Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

The Gregorc Style Delineator

 My learning (and thinking) style is a bit off—at least, unusual for an electrician.

To determine my style, I used the Gregorc Style Delineator.  The delineator is based on a test that requires only 5 minutes of time.  It is a matter of answering 15 questions, assigning yourself scores on a horizontal and vertical axis, and plotting lines through 4 quadrants based on the scores.


My Gregorc Result



I have taken this test several times over the last few years.  My results are always the same.  I am long on the vertical axis, but very nearly balanced equally in all quadrants. 

The balance in all quadrants is what makes me unusual.   

As an instructor, I had several dozen apprentices evaluate themselves with a Gregorc Style Delineator.   Very few found balance in all four quadrants.  Most scored heavily in the sequential quadrants.  Furthermore, they tended to reside heavily in only one sequential quadrant.

I should note, I also loved teaching electrical code, which most apprentices felt was a bit strange.

There is no “wrong” quadrant.  As an instructor, the Gregorc scores and graphs told me I needed dynamic lessons to reach every quadrant: lecture, reading, visual displays, group activities, and plenty of hands-on work.

Following is a graphic explaining the quadrants.  If you are interested in seeing where you land, I have posted a link to an evaluation PDF you can download.


 

Learning Styles

Mitchell Hegman

Quadrant Image: Gregorc Style Delineator Website.

Test Link:  http://wp.auburn.edu/biggio/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/learning-style-test.pdf 

No comments:

Post a Comment