Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Suman sa Ibos

Let’s be frank, clubbing to death a chicken and then butchering the thing is not particularly artful.  If you reflect on a lot of what we eat, the process that brings food to our table is more than often a little messy.

There are exceptions.

Some food preparations are both satisfying and lovely in presentation.

This sounds ridiculous now, but when I was a kid, I was dazzled the first time I saw an advertisement for the veg-o-matic food chopper.  The way the chopper converted whole potatoes into fries with one push verged on magic to me.  I was so enthralled, I insisted we get one as a Christmas present for my mother.

My tastes have evolved some since the veg-o-matic.  It takes a bit more to impress me.

Recently, Desiree shared photographs of Suman sa ibos, a type of Filipino rice cake made from glutinous rice mixed with coconut milk and wrapped in coconut leaves.  The wraps are then boiled.  The cooked rice is often paired with ripe mangoes.

Suman sa ibos is beautiful.



Freshly Wrapped Rice



Cooked Wraps



A Satisfying Dinner

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment