Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, November 28, 2021

Baking Stolen Soil

I stepped up my game a little.  As mentioned in previous blogs, my neighbor, Kevin, and I routinely lift pretty rocks from each other’s property.   I have escalated from lifting rocks to heisting soil from Kevin’s garden.

I didn’t take a lot of soil—just enough for a small houseplant.

After filching a bag of soil from Kevin’s garden, I hiked back home and baked the soil in my oven for a few minutes to kill any viable weed seeds.

As luck would have it, Kevin stopped to visit me not long after I slid my pan of dirt on the upper rack and closed the oven door.

“I stole some dirt from your garden,” I confessed to Kevin after inviting him in for a sit-and-chat in my kitchen.  “I need to mix it with some potting soil.”

“You might want to bake it first to kill the weeds,” he responded.

“Ha!” I ejected.  “It’s in the oven right now.”    

Kevin will not have much luck retaliating by stealing soil from around my house.  I live on a pile of rocks. 

The rocks, however, are fair game.



Freshly Baked Soil

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment