Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, June 11, 2022

Dirt Conversion Kit

Another of my country neighbors had a dirt conversion kit dropped off at his property.  A dirt conversion kit consists of bundles posts and poles for fencing in a few acres.

My neighbor intends to fence in a small part of his property and toss a couple horses inside. 

Ours is a dry and fragile landscape consisting of shortgrass prairie with occasional patches of bunchgrass.  Digging down, you find a thin layer of soil overtop sand and stone.

“This ain’t horse country,” anyone from my hometown of East Helena will inform you.

Horses, if confined to paddock here, will require no more than a few days to graze every thread of grass down to bare dirt.

I drive by several such squares of bare ground (populated with hay-fed horses) on my way home from town.  Soon, I will have a patch of bare dirt next to me.       

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment