Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

The First Day of Summer

Today is the first official day of summer.  Here in Montana, the season names should be accompanied with an asterisk.  A note applied to the asterisk would read: “In name only.”

In Montana, our weather (especially the temperature) regularly entertains wild swings that defy season norms.  We actually hold a world record for the most extreme temperature swing in 24 hours.  In 1972, at Loma, Montana, the temperature rose 103 degrees, from -54 degrees Fahrenheit to 49 degrees.

Most of our goofy temperatures, however, are drops to unexpected lows at the wrong time of year.   I have personally seen snow fall on every month of the year here at my house in the valley.  Just yesterday, on the last day of spring, my vehicle registered only 41 degrees as I crested Flesher Pass during a rain storm.  I am pretty sure I saw a few flakes of snow flitting about amidst the raindrops.   

Today, as I said at the opening of this blog, is the first day of summer.  But if you are planning a trip here in Montana, make sure you bring along a coat.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment