Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, June 2, 2022

White Rock Mode

Rock collecting is a highly personal activity.  Even when scouring through material or hunting a location with someone else, the activity is all about you using every available sense to find a ‘keeper’ for your collection.  Equally personal is the types of rocks you prefer as a rock hound.

I love clear stones, fossils, banded agates, and any rock showing the color blue.

My friend Tad is all about agates and petrified wood.  Put those together in the form of agatized wood and you have a sure winner.  He is also color blind, which greatly impacts his perception of some stones relative to what I see.  He doesn’t distinguish between red or green and fails to share my excitement when I find a specimen showing bright displays of either color.

On a recent walkabout with Desiree, I discovered her especially particular taste in rocks.  Within only a few minutes, she had filled both of her hands with white specimens.

“Is that what you want?  White rocks?” I asked.

She beaned a smile.  “Yes.”

“Okay,” I said, “I will switch over to white rock mode, too.”

Within only a few minutes of walking, we had my pockets and our hands filled with white rocks.



Desiree’s Collection

—Mitchell Hegman  

No comments:

Post a Comment