Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, June 17, 2022

Finding an Arrowhead

Yesterday, while walking through a forest at some seven-thousand feet in elevation within the Big Belt Mountains, I glanced down and spotted a partial arrowhead made from flint.  Over the years, I have found a half-dozen arrowheads or partial arrowheads while wandering about my home state of Montana.  I found another one something near ten years ago while walking the prairie near my house.

Such finds always thrill me.  At the same time, a swath of questions rush through me:

How old?   How did the arrowhead find this place?  Did the arrowhead bring down a deer?  An elk?  What did these mountains look like when the arrow flew?  What luck brought me to find the arrowhead in such a remote setting?

I have posted a picture of the arrowhead I found.



Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment