Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, October 31, 2022

Midnight Run

Somewhere along my journey to middle-age, I adopted a tenet that all critters are simply here to make a living—just the same as us.  As an outcrop of this, I grew soft on killing things.  If a grizzly or a mountain lion threatened attack, I wouldn’t hesitate to dispatch them.  But I allow for smaller transgressions.

In practical terms, this means I live-trap mice when they find entry into my house.  I understand how mice may vector disease and I know they are messy, but the same can be said for some of my human friends.

Only a minute or so before going to bed last night, Desiree saw a mouse scuttling along the kitchen baseboard.  I immediately set five small live traps close to the range where Desiree saw the mouse.

At midnight, on a trip to the kitchen for a drink of water, I discovered two traps had successfully captured a mouse.

My habit is to walk or drive captured mice down the road a half-mile or so before releasing them in the wild.  Last night, I considered leaving them trapped until this morning, but I knew the thought of them would keep me awake. 

I quietly dressed in my robe and slippers, and then took the mice on a midnight run out into the country while listening to Bob Dylan and Cage the Elephant.

 Letting things live is the more difficult option.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment