Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, October 2, 2022

Hot Springs State Park

I am happy to announce that the Big Spring in Thermopolis may legitimately lay claim to being the largest mineral hot spring in the world.  Lots of sources seem to confirm that.  My only uncertainty now is in what, exactly, makes it a mineral hot spring as opposed to a standard variety hot spring.  I mean, they all seem a bit minerally to me.

Wyoming’s Hot Springs State Park, home of the spring, is something of a miniature Yellowstone National Park.  It offers steamy geothermal features, otherworldly landscapes, a walking bridge suspended across the Big Horn River, and boardwalks for accessing more dramatic views.

Though the day proved overcast and a bit on the cool side, Desiree, my nephew’s wife, Natalia, and I spent part of yesterday hiking around within the park.

The park is lovely and slightly surreal.  I recommend stopping for a tour if you draw near it in your travels.



Desiree and Me at Teepee Fountain



Warm Water at the Base of the Mineral Terraces



Split Walkway



Desiree Above the River



Hot Spring Water Flowing Toward the Pools

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment