Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Sea Creatures and Arrowheads

My habit has always been to look for collectable rocks as I walk anywhere in this world of mine.  While hiking across the top of Rountop (overlooking Thermopolis, Wyoming), an oddly colored rock caught my attention.  When I scooped up the rock, I discovered a chip of flint.

Geologically, the flint didn’t belong on top of the butte.

Before long, I and my nephew, Marshall, were poking around the area where I discovered the flint.  Within a few minutes, we found several chips of chert and flint that appeared to have been knapped from larger pieces of stone in the process of making arrowheads.

Eventually, I found the tip of an arrowhead there.

While scouring for arrowheads (from the era when Plains Indians dominated the land), I also found several ancient sea fossils now weathered free from the butte’s limestone cap.

On my hike back down from the top, I found a nearly complete arrowhead on the trail.



Partial Arrowheads and Chips Knapped from Larger Stones



Baculite Specimens and a Shell from the Ancient Sea



Smooth Fossils (Teeth form a Sea Monster?)

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment