Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, October 1, 2022

Thermopolis

Welcome to Hot City.  That’s the English translation for the Greek “Thermopolis”.    

Desiree and I drove seven hours from home to visit my nephew and his family here in Thermopolis, Wyoming (population 2,725).

The country here is cool.  Scarps and coulees and bands of deep red colors abound in the vast landscape.  There are also plenty of badlands and dinosaur fossils to be found here.

If you investigate Thermopolis by way of Wikipedia, you will read:  The town claims the world's largest mineral hot spring, appropriately named ‘The Big Spring’”

Since we are talking about Wikipedia, I am not sure we can trust the veracity of that claim.  Also, how is this ‘biggest’ measured?

No matter to me.

I only care that the water is good for soaking.

And I am excited about visiting the local dinosaur museum later today.  We may also drive through nearby Wind River Canyon.

Finally, according to Wikipedia, the town’s population is only 0.5% Asian.  In that regard, Desiree is giving this place a handsome bump!



The Landscape Near my Nephew’s Home

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment