Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, October 27, 2022

My Strange Conversation

Yesterday, while I was shopping in a grocery store, a frazzled-looking woman of about my age appeared next to me.  After appraising, me she asked: “Do you think Putin is going to nuke us?”

I rubbed at my eyes.  “Excuse me?”

“Do you think Putin will nuke us?” 

“I have no idea, actually.”

“He said he would strike Montana first,” she assured me.

“I had not heard that,” I told her.  “But we do have a lot of missiles here.”

With that, the woman abruptly changed subjects.  “It’s so quiet today,” she said.  “Nobody is talking here.”

“Well…we are talking,” I suggested.

The woman brightened in expression a little. “Yes, we are.”

Just then, Desiree rejoined me.  Upon seeing Desiree, I half-smiled at the woman.  “I am on my way again.” I told her.  “Have a good rest of your day.”  I latched onto our shopping cart and quickly whisked away.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment