Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Craftsmanship Noted

Way back in the early 2000s, unbeknownst those of us working on a job, the electrical engineer of design toured a newly framed building in which we had recently completed running a massive splay of conduit runs.  Following his visit, the engineer called my employer to expressed his pleasure with the craftsmanship of our work.

After my employer shared this information with me, I mentioned the compliment to the entire crew as we sat eating lunch.  One of the apprentices on the job immediately said: “Yeah, it’s nice work.  But nobody will see it when the building is done.”

I have always considered craftsmanship important.  Knowing you are doing your best when nobody is looking matters.  Most importantly, something constructed well on the inside is also good on the outside.  “Well,” I told the apprentice, “The engineer noticed.  That’s good enough for me.”   

Three or so years ago, while talking with the owner of an electrical shop, he mentioned performing maintenance on the same building.  “That was one of your jobs, wasn’t it?”

“Yep.”

“There is some nice work in there.”    

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment