Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Not Necessarily a Bad Investment

At the age of nineteen, I chanced upon book of poems by Richard Hugo while browsing through a bookstore.  I don’t know why I picked up the book, but I did.

Hugo’s poems immediately drew me in.  He wrote about places I knew: Missoula, Wisdom, Milltown, Philipsburg, and Kicking Horse Reservoir.  Drunks and workingmen and fishermen wandered in and out of his hammering verses.

I purchased the book and read his poems repeatedly, sometimes aloud, and I found myself falling in love with contemporary poetry.  Soon enough, I picked up books by other contemporary poets.

Looking back upon my life, I have invested hours upon hours sitting in sunny spots, alone, reading poems, sometimes writing my own.

From the outside, my love for contemporary poetry may appear to have been a bad investment.  Poetry has not filled my pockets.  The poems that reach me often fail to reach others.  To my old drinking buddies, the purposeful twists of phrase are simply confounding.

But within me, the proper poem read at the appropriate hour satisfies me in a way nothing else does.

Cheers, Richard Hugo!

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment