Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Chickadee Reflections

The chickadees have taken to flapping up against the glass of my back door to get my attention. They want me to crush fresh walnuts into the palm of my hand and feed them.

I can hardly refuse.

These birds are the children of the children of the children of the children of the first pair to befriend me. I have not bothered to name any of these birds. To me, they are all simply “Hello Chickadee.”

I see the chickadees only in the morning hours; I never dream of them, and I don’t question their motives. I will say this: they stay for the entire Montana winter, which is admirable if not a little silly. When the weather finally turns for the better this spring, I am considering taking a book of Richard Hugo’s poems outside so I can read a few verses aloud for the chickadees.

Birds understand the music in words.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment