Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Game Trail

I followed a game trail into the hills of juniper and jack pine. The decision to follow the trail proved a good one. Produced almost entirely by deer, the trail charted the gentlest route through the glacially carved swells of earth and stone. I thought about my age as I walked. As defined by the number, I am what children have long defined as old. My face and hands wear the permanent scars of time. But I am upright and that is good enough for a walk in the hills.

After a time, I encountered a single chickadee. The bird alighted on a juniper not much more than an arm’s reach from me.

“I am happy to meet you,” I told the bird. “You are welcome to follow me along if you wish. But I must warn you, I am particularly self-absorbed today, and the deer are unwittingly guiding me.”

That said, the chickadee abandoned me with a half-dozen quick wing-beats. I walked on, taking the easy way as defined by deer.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment