Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, June 29, 2024

The Litter Thing

Something caught my eye in the grass just off the road near a bend in our country road. Something suspiciously white. “Litter,” I muttered to myself in disgust.

I am especially sensitive to litter on our mostly quiet and remote country road. Upon reaching the place where I spotted the litter, I stopped the car and prepared to open the car door so I could trot out to retrieve the offending white whatever-it-was.

I didn’t even bother to open the door after taking a closer look alongside the road. Instead, I blinked a couple of times, rubbed my eyes, and then drove on down the road toward home.

I have become jaded and am likely spending too much time looking for signs of something wrong instead of simply enjoying the ride. At the end of this blog, I have posted an image featuring a specimen of the suspicious white flag I spotted just off the road. It’s an evening primrose. Some call these little beauties a gumbo lily. The flowers are nearly the size of my fist and a brilliant white when they first open. The petals fade to pink as they slowly clasp together again and then shed. The image I am sharing was captured several years ago not far from where I mistook this one for litter.

These are nice flowers, and I need to lighten up a bit.

Tufted Evening-Primrose

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment