Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, June 15, 2024

Tropical LBJs

Reflecting on what was essentially a month spent on tropical islands in the Philippines, I think what surprised me the most was the birds. More specifically, the presence of LBJs (little brown jobs) everywhere. LBJs are what birding enthusiasts call standard-issue, small, brown, and somewhat drably colored birds that are often difficult to identify. They are just plain old little perching birds.

I was surprised by how many LBJs I saw. They were everywhere, in both the province and the cityscapes. Honestly, I expected to see trees filled with hordes of brightly colored wonders, but instead, I saw a lot of LBJs. This is not to say I am disappointed because I am not. I am happy with any kind of bird, and there were a lot of rather friendly LBJs.

I did not bother to capture an image of the LBJs, but I talked to my fair share of them.

—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. If you want to talk to lots birds with wild plumage you need to go where the cocks are.

    ReplyDelete