Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

The Bat Box

Bats are cool. For one thing, they are the only mammals capable of flying. They are also capable of eating 1,200 mosquitoes in an hour and navigating through the dark of the night to find insect prey using echolocation. I like bats well enough that I have affixed a bat box to the east gable of my house.

The bat box provides a safe roosting place for bats and has the benefit of attracting natural pest control agents to your yard. Bats typically use the box during their active months, from spring through early fall, as they seek shelter during the day and a place to raise their young.

This year, judging by the guano (the term for bat droppings) collected below my bat box, it has seen heavy use. Interestingly enough, bat poop is also good. Guano holds significant value due to its high nutrient content, making it an exceptional natural fertilizer. Rich in nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, bat guano promotes healthy plant growth and enhances soil structure, which improves water retention and aeration. Additionally, it contains beneficial microbes that help to break down organic matter in the soil, further enriching its quality. Late each fall, once the bats have left to hibernate, I sweep the guano into a dustpan and broadcast it in my yard.

I am sharing a photograph of my bat box with the collection of guano below.

The Bat Box

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment