Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, July 11, 2024

The Songbird Nest

During a large gathering at our lakeshore property on June 22nd, one of the guests found a small bird’s nest about five feet off the ground in a tree near our pavilion. Inside the nest were four eggs about the size of a quarter. The bird responsible for the nest had abandoned it due to the commotion and the number of people milling about in the vicinity. The presence of overnight campers kept the nest unattended for a second day. The bird, a small LBJ that looks something like a nuthatch, finally appeared on the 24th.

As I monitored the nest to see what happened to the eggs and the nesting bird, I researched a bit about songbirds and their eggs. Some eggs can go several days without incubation. Furthermore, the birds will know if the eggs are viable and will generally not expend time and energy incubating eggs that will not produce babies.

Much to my pleasure, once the small bird returned, she remained in her nest, incubating the eggs for nearly two weeks. The other day, when I went down to the lake, I saw the bird sitting higher in the nest, an indication she might have hatchlings. I intended to mow the lawn near the nest but opted not to in case she had little ones. A while later, I got a chance to peek into the nest.

We have babies!

I am now the “grandbird” of four little songbirds. This is the best stuff ever. I am posting a picture I captured of the eggs on June 22nd and another picture I took yesterday when mom went out hunting for food.

Nest With Eggs

Nest With Hatchlings

—Mitchell Hegman

1 comment: