Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

First Bluebird Sighting


Since the early 1990s, I have been documenting in my journals the date on which I see my first bluebird of the season.  I live in prime bluebird habitat.  The arrival of bluebirds is the surest signal that spring is here.
Yesterday, I spotted my first bluebird of the season.  Actually, I saw a male and a female dancing around a birdhouse I have nailed to a post in my yard.  After I watched the birds for a bit, I grabbed a pile of my handwritten journals and found the dates of my first bluebird sightings.  Below is a list of those dates along with part of my comment from each of those journal entries:

March 16, 2003: “Seven in the sagebrush.  Two circling my birdhouse.”
March 13, 2004: “Six bluebirds cast like electric sparks against fields of snow.”
March 9, 2005: “First bluebird of the year!”
March 5, 2006: “A vivid blue splash against the frost-sided country.”
March 19, 2007: “A single bluebird pirouetting in the open air.”
March 27, 2008: “Blue as hour of morning light in the high mountains.”
March 11, 2009: “Against the blue and white mountains.”
March 17, 2010: “A blue chip wind-driven against honey-colored grass.”
March 18, 2011: “A pair romancing at my birdhouse.”
March 16, 2012: Posted on this blogsite.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: