Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What I Thought I Saw versus What I Actually Saw


A plumber I know calls them “optical conclusions.”  They are not an optical illusion created by exploiting sensory overload, but rather a kind of half-wit misinterpretation of what are really very normal visual inputs.
In the case of my plumber friend, he considered any of his piping that I saw as crooked an optical conclusion.
Well, I did not think so.  My torpedo level also thought his stuff was out-of-whack.
But yesterday I did see something weird. Looking out across a field I saw a white cat walking backward through some tall grass.  “Wow,” I thought, “that is unusual.  Like Michael Jackson moonwalking!” I did not realize that I was witnessing and optical conclusion until the tail lifted its head and the whole thing became a snow goose walking forward.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment