Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Front Door


I stepped outside yesterday evening and allowed the warm coming-of-spring breeze lift my shirt and tickle my arms.  The air smelled of pine and old grass. 
I watched one of my cats slowly walk out against the tawny expanse of prairie.
I counted the low clouds: seven.
No bird sounds.  No deer.
When I turned to go back inside, I realized that I had left the door open…the house so very quiet.  Two years ago, I might have walked back inside and found my sweet wife sitting in that chair I never learned to like (but have saved and not sat in since her passing). 
I entered the empty house and allowed the door to remain open for another hour.
--Mitchell Hegman  

No comments:

Post a Comment