Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Tuesday

On Tuesday morning, a mouse rushed inside my garage from outside when I opened the overhead door to back out my car.

Upon seeing the mouse do this, I did what any sensible human will do when faced with such an event.  I screamed, “Aaaaaayyyyy!”

The mouse dashed under my car.  By the time I knelt down to scan under the car, the little bugger had flung himself of to an unknown hiding place within my garage.

I shoved aside a nearby propane tank and bag of water softener salt to see if the mouse was hunkering behind those.  No luck.  I had no choice but to leave the mouse in my garage.  I backed my car out and closed the overhead door.

Up on returning home later, I set a live trap baited with feta cheese on the garage floor.  Within two hours, I captured my quarry.  As I walked the mouse out onto the prairie to set it free, I gave it an appropriate scolding:

“The house is mine.  The prairie is yours.  And, I must tell you—I have a fat, but surprisingly fast housecat.  He does not practice catch and release.  I suggest you keep to your own.”

At mid-prairie, I let the mouse free.

What did you do on Tuesday?

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment