Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Watercress

Watercress is distributed worldwide.  Here in North America, the plant is deemed an invasive species.  Some 45 states have also listed watercress as an invasive aquatic plant.  I did not find it listed as such here in Montana.     

The plant, if you are unfamiliar, is an aquatic or semi-aquatic perennial herb.   Here in Montana, you may find watercress growing in and along the riffled edge of mountain springs and creeks in the western half of the state.  The plant grows low and tends to create something of a mat.  I often find it in small clusters here and there in freshwater springs.  The plant produces a small white flower when blooming.

Watercress, at the same time it is considered invasive, is considered a “superfood.”  This plant is also one of the more ancient greens regularly used by humans.  Watercress is packed with calcium, magnesium, potassium, dietary nitrates, and the antioxidant alpha-lipoic acid.  All good stuff.  Stuff that runs around inside your body tweaking functions back to normal.

When I was a boy my father and I sometimes gathered watercress from springs on our way home from hunting deer in the mountains.  The plant is somewhat fragile and crisp and is readily plucked from the water.  We used the cleaned sprays of watercress in salads.  The plant has a slight peppery taste.  Something close to the taste of a mild radish.  I like it.

On my ride to the mountains the other day, I spotted watercress in one of the small creeks prancing along beside us as we drove up a narrow ravine.  We stopped and gathered a bag of leafy sprays from the waters.  I cleaned the watercress upon arriving at home that night and have been adding it to salads ever since.   

I know of several areas within a half-hour of my home where I can find watercress.  I may make a few visits there in the coming months.



A Watercress Mat



Along the Creek



Cleaned Watercress






Mitchell Hegman

Sources: https://www.fs.fed.us, https://www.medicalnewstoday.com, http://fieldguide.mt.gov,  http://fieldguide.mt.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment