Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, October 29, 2020

Letter to 2020

Dear 2020:

I am going to be direct and unapologetic here.  You suck!

You kicked off January by interrupting my Desiree’s life in the Philippines with a volcano.  Seriously?  A volcano?

That has been followed by typhoons and health problems for her sweet mother.  And, just last week, the province where her parents live experienced the worst flooding anyone can remember. 

Question: What’s the point?

Let’s talk about the biggie now.  The Covid-19 pandemic.  You crushed the whole world, isolated us, killed some of us.  Weirdly, stupidly, fucked-uply, the response to this virus turned political all around the globe.   We remain under the thumb of this disease today.

Thanks for nothing, 2020.

And you are responsible for dozens of other bones caught in my throat.  Wildfires ravaging the states along our West Coast.  All around me the death of my friends and the family of my friends.  Sickness and injury within my own family.  My sister in the hospital today, suffering from dehydration. 

As I write this, hurricane Zeta is crashing through the United States by way of Louisiana.  Consider that.  We have been through the naming alphabet with two months of hurricane season remaining—that’s 26 storms when we normally see 12 in an entire season.

Next up: the ugliest election I have ever seen.  No matter which way the various races fall, the result will be division and discontent.

You have two months left in your scabbard, 2020.  Perhaps you might consider doing something nice with these remaining months.  Maybe, a complete cure for breast cancer.  You could toss some new battery technology our way so we can revolutionize energy storage.

You have time left to become less sucky.  How about giving that a try?

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment