Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

How I Ruined One Line of An Entire Industry

I finally did it.  I wiped out one product line for an entire industry.  Well, technically, I only ruined things for the Northwestern region of the United States.      

Here is the dealeo.  I picked the wrong color: red. 

Over the last eleven years, the canvas cover for my pontoon boat, has sun-rotted to the point it rips apart when I attempt to stretch it into place.  I had no luck finding a replacement online.  Frustrated by that, I dragged the heap of canvas in to a local upholstery joint to see if they could use that as a pattern to make a new one.

Affirmative.  Yep.  Bingo.

I picked up the finished cover yesterday.  Seems the upholstery shop spent an inordinate amount of time simply trying find the red canvas required.  “You got the last of the red available in the entire Northwest,” the shop owner informed me.

“Is that a Covid thing?”  I asked.  A logical question given shortages of all kinds of products and services as a result of the pandemic.  Try to purchase canning jars, for example.  And I don’t even want to mention toilet paper again.

“Partially Covid,” the owner of the shop responded.  “The manufacturing plant normally shuts down for Christmas, but Covid has added to the mix.”

There it is.

The next poor soul who walks into an upholstery shop in Boise or Walla Walla seeking to make something from red canvas will need to thank me as they shuffle back out the door empty-handed.



Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment