Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Glitchy Thinking

I am regularly subject to silliness and absurdity in my thought processes.  I think this may be the result of kind of operational glitch in my brain.

I think I can explain the problem using an analogy.

Imagine the brain as a series of chambers for storing information (which is in the form of a kind of fluid).  The chambers are all interconnected with a complex array of pipes and valves.  When processing thoughts in a standardized manner, various valves will open and close to regulate the transfer of the appropriate information between the chambers.

My brain does all of that reasonably well, but, repeatedly, a valve in one of my chambers remains partially stuck in the open position and a single bit of unnecessary information is continuously pumped throughout the other chambers.

I can cite a perfect example of what results from this sort of glitch.

For the last couple of years, I have been placing daily calls to Desiree in the Philippines.  My brain chamber containing the Philippines is glitchy.

The Philippines is always circulating though my brain.   As a result, when I see my bottle of Cetaphil moisturizing lotion, it becomes “Cetaphilippines.”

Philadelphia becomes “Philaphilippines.”

Philosophy becomes “Philosophilppines.”

And on it goes in my overphilled brain.

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment