Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, August 5, 2021

A Beat-Up Swallowtail Butterfly

It’s a rough and tumble world for butterflies.  They might look pretty, but butterflies are both tough and sometimes abused.  On a recent walk into the mountains, I spotted a swallowtail butterfly fluttering around a lush and narrow swale near a small creek.

The area was already swarming with dozens of dragonflies and a horde of orangish butterflies I think are variegated fritillary butterflies.  When the swallowtail attempted to land on the head of a musk thistle for a snack, three of the orange butterflies immediately mobbed it.

The swallow tail circled about and tried again.

Same result.

On the third attempt, the swallowtail landed successfully on the thistle flower and remained there long enough for me to capture several images.  Only in looking at the images later did I notice the damage on the right wing of the swallowtail. 

Obviously, the butterfly has been in a few skirmishes of some sort.   

I have posted a photograph of the swallowtail along with a fritillary (found online) and two other images I captured on my hike.



Swallowtail Butterfly



Variegated Fritillary (Photo: Megan McCarthy)



Tall Tamaracks



Arctic Aster

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment