Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

My Stolen and Recovered 8-Track Tapes

During my high school years in the early 1970s, my main body of friends were the long-hairs and party kids.  While my immediate friends were not inclined to criminal activities and mischief, we regularly circulated around and partied with the “bad element” within our generation. 

There were times, oddly enough, when having connections to the darker side proved helpful.  One incident from my junior year always comes to mind when I consider this.

One weekend, while “cruising the drag” as we regularly did, I left my car in a parking lot and hopped into another car to ride around with some friends.

When I returned to my car, I discovered someone had stolen two of my 8-track tapes.

A great loss at the time.

While in school the following week, I complained to one of my sketchy side friends about the loss of the tapes.

“Where was your car?” he asked.

“Capital Sports parking lot.”

“What tapes were stolen?”

“Steely Dan and Edgar Winter.”

“I’ll get them back for you.”

“Okay,” I said, not truly thinking I would see my tapes again.

A couple days later my friend found me in the school parking lot and handed me my 8-track tapes.

“Where did you get them?” I asked.

“Doesn’t matter,” he said. “And it won’t happen again.”  

 “Okay,” I said.  “Thank, man.” 

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment