Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, August 28, 2021

What’s in Your Burner?

If my father were still alive, he would say: “Your yard is lousy with chipmunks, Mitch.”

The expression “lousy with” was his way of saying you are being overrun.

I really do have a lot of chipmunks hanging around my house this year.  I have never seen so many, actually.  At times, I may see three or four of them at once.

The chipmunks love streaking along the brick ledge of my house and scampering along the rails of the surrounding post-and-pole fence.  Several of them hang around my back deck.  A couple weeks ago, when I dried my clothes, the dryer huffed a chipmunk nest out from the dryer vent.  That chipmunk had figured out how to open the flap and get inside the vent.

More recently, I spotted a chipmunk with nest-building material in its mouth hanging around my barbeque grill.  It occurred to me that I might want to inspect the grill.  Posted today is a photograph of a chipmunk nest I found in the burner affixed to the side of my grill.

I never use the burner.

I left the nest as I found it and covered the grill again.  I can live with the nest in the burner.  I am not sure if the chipmunk can deal with me using the other half of the grill from time to time.



Chipmunk Nest

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment