Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, December 23, 2022

Ice Shock

Desiree has thrived in her first bout with frigid Arctic weather. Early yesterday morning, the temperature dipped to something near -30°F at our house.  At the same time, several people I know recorded -38°F.

Things get a little weird when temperatures plummet below -20°F.  The lake ice regularly cries and occasionally makes depth charge sounds.  Packed snow squeaks and squeals when you walk or drive on it.  My house, with the bitter cold resting on its back, cracks and snaps deep within its bones.     

One of the more spectacular frigid weather spectacles involves pitching boiling-hot water into the outside air.  The water instantly vaporizes and then freezes, becoming something more akin to smoke.

Yesterday, while temperatures remained near -20°F, Desiree and I boiled some water in a pot, which, theoretically, brought it to a temperature of 212°F.  We then poured the water in a cup and trotted outside to video me (in slow-motion) throwing the water into the air above me.

Consider, that’s an astounding temperature difference of 232°.

The results did not disappoint.    I have posted one of several videos Desiree captured of me.

Ice Shock

Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. The boiling point of water must be adjusted for elevation, but you knew that. I guessed your elevation at 3500 feet ( close?), which (thanks to google) yields a boiling point of about 206 degrees F. Very cool, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are pretty close on elevation. I appreciate that you took time to drill down (maybe up?) in a the sake of accuracy! Hope you are feeling near 100%.

      Delete