Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Not Counting Sheep

Somewhere in the restless night, I left my bed and plodded out to sleep on the sofa.  After twisting myself into a plush throw, I tried to force my way to sleep.

Nearly an hour slipped by.

Counting sheep doesn’t work for me.  Imagining a blank slate is impossible.

And then I heard something.

At my front door, I stationed a Presto electric parabolic heater.  Rather than broadcasting heat by way of a fan, a parabola-shaped reflective deflection plate on this heater radiates heat out in many directions.  The heater regularly clicks on and off.  When producing heat, the red-hot element sings a soft metallic song.

The heater hums, if you listen.

Lat night, answering the brittle song of sub-zero temperatures outside, the heater finally lulled me to sleep.

This morning I woke to the strangely satisfying click and hum of the heater. 

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment