Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, December 2, 2022

Sunchimes

I woke at 3:00 yesterday morning with an idea.  The thought rolled around in my head making enough noise I failed to sleep again and started my day early.

“I have an idea,” I announced to Desiree as soon she awakened and found me in the living room.  “I am hoping you can make something for us.  I guess we can call them sunchimes.  I envisioned them in my head when I first woke this morning.  I may have seen then in my last dream…not really sure.”

Desiree, in addition to being agreeable, is a brilliant crafter.  For many years, she has made both decorative and useful items with sinamay fabric, a material woven from the processed stalks abaca trees, a type of banana native to the Philippines.  Upon moving here with me, she also started fabricating baubles and windchimes with fragments of tumbled glass.  In my waking vision, I saw a sunchime of tumbled glass dangling within a free-floating sinamay frame.  I explained this to Desiree.

After a quick trip to town to fetch needed supplies, Desiree produced a lovely sunchime prototype.

“That’s perfect,” I told Desiree when she held up her finished chime.  “I love it!  I think you are going to need to make a lot more of those.”

I have posted two photographs of Desiree’s first sunchime.




Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment