Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Rocks and Plants (Lemon Tree Report)

My lemon tree recently took off on a growth spurt and is going to need a larger place for wiggling its feet.  Wondering if placing rocks at the bottom of a new planter might be a good idea for drainage, I asked ChatGPT (the artificial intelligence chatbot) if using rocks for drainage on a potted lemon tree is advisable.  Here is the answer the chatbot generated:       

“Using rocks as a drainage method for a potted lemon tree is not recommended. Lemon trees, like many potted plants, prefer well-draining soil to prevent waterlogging and promote healthy root growth. Instead of using rocks at the bottom of the pot, it is more effective to ensure that the pot has proper drainage holes and use a well-draining soil mixture specifically formulated for citrus plants. This will allow excess water to drain freely without the risk of creating a perched water table that could potentially harm the roots.”

I have made a lifetime habit of ignoring the advice of people smarter than me.  I don’t think I should be bucking that trend at this stage of life by listening to a smarter chatbot.

I like rocks better than holes and shall be going with rocks.

Posted is a photograph of the lemon tree, the new pot (with rocks in the bottom), and a Cold Smoke beer as a reference for size.



My Lemon Tree

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment